History of the Education Library
Henry Edward Field
The Library building was named after Henry Edward Field, O.B.E., M.A., Ph.D.(Lond), F.B.Ps.S., 1903 - 1991 who was closely associated with the College from his student days in 1921 to his appointment as first Chairman of the Christchurch Teachers College Council in 1968.
During this time he made a significant contribution to the development of the College as Professor of Education at the University of Canterbury, as a member of the District Appointment Committee and as a member of the Teachers College Council. His contribution to teacher education in New Zealand is widely recognised.
Professor Field was a member of the National Consultative Committee on Recruitment, Education and Training of Teachers (1948), made a significant contribution to the Currie Commission and was a member and Chairman of the National Council on Teacher Training. His chairmanship of the College Council until 1976 completed an association with the College which spanned five decades.