UC Research Repository FAQ

UC Research Repository Frequently Asked Questions


What kinds of research do we collect?

The Repository accepts many types of scholarly output, and can handle accommodate written documents, images, video and audio recordings. The bulk of our collection consists of:

  • books
  • chapters in books
  • conference papers (and powerpoint slides)
  • journal articles
  • reports
  • theses (masters and doctoral)
  • Other student work (some exceptional honours/PGDip reports)
  • working papers
  • Raw research data
  • Creative work (translations, original writing)

Why do I have to put a file into the UC Research Repository, and what is "Mandatory Deposit"?

In 2014 the University of Canterbury Senior Management Team agreed to a policy for researchers to include all appropriate research in the UC Research Repository. That means all researchers are expected to put a version of their research outputs into the UC Research Repository, copyright and other reasons allowing.

In effect the UC Research Repository has gone from opt-in, where material is volunteered, to an opt-out system. Researchers can opt-out from submitting their research – remembering that all copyright clearance will be handled after the research has been submitted to the UC Research Repository by library staff.

The university is keen for its research to reach the widest audience possible, and the Mandatory Deposit policy is designed to encourage as much material as possible to be made openly accessible. This policy is becoming increasingly common at universities and research institutions globally (http://roarmap.eprints.org/).

Research funding bodies are increasingly making Open Access to research outputs mandatory, so this policy makes it easier for researchers to meet their obligations as well.

Comments, feedback and discussion about this policy is welcomed – please contact the UC Research Repository maintainer.


How do I put my work in the repository?

This relates to research outputs. For theses, please refer to our thesis guide

Deposit licence

Before your work goes live on the Repository, we request that you sign a simple, one-off deposit licence. The licence outlines our obligations to you, which are principally to safeguard your work, check for copyright compliance with publishers (more on that, below) and invest you with the right to withdraw your work at any point in time. There is no transfer of copyright involved.

Please return the form, or a scan of it, to the Repository Administrator, <ucresearchrepository@canterbury.ac.nz> Anton Angelo, UC Central Library, Puaka - James Hight.

Quick guide to adding your work through UC Profiler

This is useful if you, or a co-author, has uploaded an item to include in your PBRFportfolio.

  • Sign on to the UC Profiler database (PBRF)
  • Click on your 'All outputs' tab
  • Find the entry for your paper and click 'edit'
  • Click on the + 'Upload Files' link at the top of the output view (under the UC authors and departments lines)
  • Use the 'UC Research Repository documents' field to browse to your electronic version of the paper
  • Select the version of the paper you're submitting.
  • Click on 'Upload'

For journal articles  the version you normally need to upload is the 'accepted manuscript', or post-print.  This is the manuscript version before typesetting, and after changes suggested by peer review.  We will check your journal's policies carefully, and respond to you if we think we need a different one.

Full guide to adding your research

Adding research via UC People & Research

Adding research to the Repository is quick and easy. The main method for adding your material is via the UC Profiler. Doing so gives you the benefit of dynamic links between your Research Profile and the Repository. It also makes it possible to monitor the use of your work, so it's well worth the effort.

Please note that before your material goes live, we need a signed copy of the Deposit Licence. Only one signed licence is required - all future submissions are covered by the terms of the licence.

Research can be added retrospectively, or you can add documents at the same time as entering a new research 'output' for the first time.

Adding a research output to the UCRR through Profiler

  • Go to the UC Profiler Database
  • Log in if it requests you to with your standard UC login details
  • Choose the add new output option and create a record of your research.
  • When you click on 'Save', a prompt will ask you whether you want to add your paper. Click OK to save a version of your research (see more about versions below). You can also:
    • select later to add an item at another time - we will remind you
    • or select the bottom link to opt out of providing an openly accessible item, and you will be asked for a short reason why you would like to opt out.

Image of dialogue box asking for an item for the repository

  • If you are adding a work for the UC research Repository, browse your computer's directory structure to find the file, then click on the file name and then click on the open button

finding your paper of your workstation

  • Select the format of the work

filling the details in profiler

  • Click on the upload button
  • The screen will refresh and you should now see the file name, the date and time you added it and your username.

Adding published versions

While the focus of these pages is on the Repository, it's also very, very useful to add the published versions of your papers at the same time - this version is used for verifying your research for the annual Research Report, and for the PBRF.

Adding research retrospectively

Adding papers retrospectively is an excellent way to open up a back catalogue of research, and makes it possible to give your peers and students a one-stop location for your papers - without compelling people to look in many different journal sites or databases.
To add you papers, log on to the UC People & Research Database as in steps (1) and (2) above, then:
1. Click on the 'All Outputs' tab
2. Click on the Manage Attachments' link next to the item you wish to add
3. Follow steps 3-8 in the section above

File upload information

If you have previously submitted work via email, or asked us to upload you work directly on your behalf, you may find that there is already a record of your work in the database, with someone else's username in place of yours. The unfamiliar username will most probably belong to the Institutional Respository Coordinator - the author of these pages.

Which version to upload - who checks copyright?

Once uploaded, Library Staff will double check to make sure that the version you have uploaded corresponds to the licence your journal has given you to submit to an institutional repository.  You can check your contract, or look up the SHERPA RoMEO database if you want to check yourself.

"Accepted Manuscript" of Postprint

The author's final draft version. In peer reviewed publications, this is the amended version directly prior to typesetting.


This is typically the accepted draft, prior to peer-review, but can be any version below the postprint.


The published version, either sourced directly from the journal publisher or downloaded from a commercial site. This version typically features a masthead and pagination. This version is normally explicitly copyrighted.


If the work you're submitting isn't a published item - like a software manual, a sculpture or an object, for example - use this category.


If you're unsure as whether the document you have is a postprint or a preprint, use this category and we'll investigate

The publishing process, version by versionthe publishing process

Check your publisher's standard copyright agreement with Sherpa RoMEO

This form will search the Sherpa RoMEO database of publishers default contracts, and suggst which version of your work you can upload to the UC Reseach repository.

Search Journal titles or ISSNs Publisher names

contains   starts with   Exact phrase only ISSN

Still confused about pre- and post- prints?

You are not alone if knowing which version of the article is the one that is allowed by your publisher. Even the best of us find the myriad of conditions complicated and confusing (see Sherpa RoMEO's definition). Remember we will check each item as they are uploaded. and we will contact you if we think we need another version. Most of the time your accepted manuscript is what we need.

NZ librarians have created a good document with advice on versions, with guidelines on how you might manage your manuscripts to ease the process: the LCONZ Versions Toolkit.

While theses, conference papers, posters and working papers are normally acceptable in their final format, copyright is often an issue when it comes to making journal articles openly accessible via the web. In the vast majority of cases, copyright over an article is transferred to the journal publisher. Despite this, most journal publishers do allow authors to make their work open-access, albeit with some restrictions on the format of the paper you use.

Usually, publishers do not allow authors to post the final, published version of a paper on the Internet. However, the majority of large publishers do allow you to use your final draft version of the paper, which should be identical in content to the published version, although the formatting may be quite different. In almost all cases where the use of the final draft is permitted, the publisher also insists on the inclusion of a set phrase that identifies the definitive version of the paper as their own, together with a link to their authorised version.

While this sounds like a lot of effort, we believe that these terms are a reasonable compromise, and serve to get the articles out into the public realm, while protecting the interests of the publishers. While some of us might not agree with the idea of restrictions on access at all, this is a pragmatic solution - and it's always good to have a happy publisher.

publishing process

Sherpa RoMEO

Confused if you can add a specific version of your paper to the repository? Librarians around the world have contributed to a site that brings publisher information together at Sherpa RoMEO. Type in the name of the journal and it gives you a standard way of understanding which version of your paper (if any) you can upload. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you want more information about licences or copyright.

Once your research has been submitted, the Library carefully vets your submission for copyright compliance (checking the publisher's policy on open-access archiving), after which it is categorised using the Marsden Fund's subject classification scheme. Finally, the item is made live and will pop into public view. If there is a problem with copyright compliance, we will be in touch.

These steps are aimed at reducing your compliance overhead, while ensuring that we play nicely with the copyright holders.

Finding out whether it works - statistics

While web statistics are less than 100% reliable, we do allow you to monitor the performance of your work - and it can be very interesting to see which papers are heavily downloaded.

You can find statistics for a group of authors within a College, School or department. You can view all works for an individual author in the Repository. You can also create a list of the 'top' PBRF-eligible items in the Repository as a whole, or by College, School and departmental units, and do the same for theses.

If you just want to look at results for an individual item, please note the last digits of the paper's url and put that ID into the item statistics page. As an example, this paper - http://hdl.handle.net/10092/3600 - will have 3600 as its ID for the item stats page).

Please note that some of the hits on your work may be from search engines, which typically inflate the figures for research in its first few weeks in the Repository. In our experience, the 'interference' from search engine hits becomes increasingly insignificant over time. We've also installed a filtering mechanism to ensure that spurious hits from automated downloading bots have been weeded out.

To look at trend data, we use Google Analytics. Trend data concerns itself with who uses the Repository (mapped to Geographical locations), and also indicates how people find the papers in the repository. Google Analytics suggests that we are getting the bulk of our visits from the Western industrialised nations, with the United States way ahead in usage stats. We also have a very healthy number of visits from the emerging powers of China and India.

What we measure - views, downloads and ratios


Each entry in the Repository has a record, or 'homepage'. The page has a unique URL, and every time this URL is resolved (i.e. requested/viewed by a web browser), the views total climbs.


Each record contains a link to the full-text of the research, and every time the link is clicked, we count an extra download for the paper.


This is the number of times the full-text of the research has been requested, relative to the number of page views. This figure is often of interest because it suggests that people have been interested enough in the research to download the entire paper - as opposed to just reading detail about the research on the entry page. However, the ratio can be misleading, as some search tools - notably Google Scholar and SCOPUS - only index the full text of the document, and hence, many people will go directly to the full-text of the document, bypassing the entry page. Hence, many papers from the Colleges of Engineering and Science have a ratio of greater than 1, while papers in other disciplines often have much lower ratios.

More detailed analytics for

Please note, these links do not work off campus.

Anyone interested in finding out more is welcome to contact the UC Research Repository maintainer.

Licences - What can people use my work for?

Currently the UC Research Repository has an "all rights reserved" licence for all material (theses licence / research licence so that though it is freely accessible for people to read, their use of that material is very restricted, and explicitly requires the permission of the author for any substantial reuse.

How to request a withdrawal (a ‘takedown’) from the UC Research Repository.

Who to contact
To make a request to withdraw content on the UCRR, please contact ucresearchrepository@canterbury.ac.nz with the details of the item, as well as the reasons it should be considered for withdrawal.
Acceptable reasons for withdrawal include:

  1. Journal publishers' rules
  2. Proven copyright violation or plagiarism
  3. Legal requirements and proven violations
  4. Falsified research
  5. Inappropriate use of  indigenous knowledge

How a request to withdraw content will be initally responded to Your request will be acknowledged by email within 72 hours, and the item will be withdrawn until a final decision is made.

Software - What is DSpace?

The Repository uses Dspace, an open-source, OAI compliant tool created jointly by MIT and HP Labs. 

External sources - more help

SHERPA - Clearing house for publisher copyright policies (Southampton University)
Publishers allowing use of their PDFs in repositories (Source: SHERPA)
OAI - Open Archives Initiative, including detailed information on the OAI-PMH protocol
The LCONZ NZ Versions Toolkit.