Borrowing from UC
The University of Canterbury Library has reciprocal borrowing agreements with a number of New Zealand and Australian tertiary institutions. This enables students and staff from these tertiary institutions to borrow material from UC Libraries.
Participating Tertiary Libraries
Students from the following tertiary institutions may register as borrowers:
- Auckland University of Technology
- Lincoln University
- Massey University
- Otago University
- Victoria University
- Waikato University
- Ara Institute of Canterbury (formerly Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology -CPIT)
- Australian Universities as listed here
- You can register at the Information Desk of any UC Library at any time during opening hours by presenting your home institution staff or student card.
- You will be asked to read a privacy statement. Library staff will then set up a record for you on the spot. After your library record is created, borrowing can begin immediately.
- A requirement of registration is the supply of your home institution email address.
Your home institution staff or student card will also serve as your library card at the University of Canterbury Library and must be presented as proof of current enrolment or employment as part of the registration procedure. There are no library or card fees for registration.
All registrations for the current year expire on 28th February of the following year.
Students from other tertiary institutions are always assigned undergraduate privileges. This includes borrowers who have research student privileges at their home institution. Staff will be assigned staff privileges. Information about loan provisions can be found here.
The University of Canterbury has four libraries and information about each, including location, maps, hours and contact details, can be found here.
Access to Licenced Electronic Resources and IT Accounts
We are unable to offer access to online journal articles and ebooks.
In addition, there is no provision for IT services, or any login rights to services and databases that are only provided for fully enrolled students or staff of the University of Canterbury.
Information/Service Desks in the Campus Libraries
Information Services staff will assist you with finding your way around and locating relevant materials. They can give you advice on where to find the information you need. You can also use the online information request form. Interlibrary loan and distance services are not provided.
You may use the AV facilities when they are not booked by University of Canterbury staff or students, but are not able to place bookings. Copying from microforms will be carried out by Library staff.
You may use the photocopying facilities.
You can obtain a casual photocopying card from the Information Desk at any UC library. Credit can be added by EFTPOS only, using top-up machines located in each library.