Finding Book Reviews
Book reviews are published in book review journals, magazines and academic journals that have book review sections, newspapers, and on the web. Databases such as Factiva, JSTOR, and Web of Science can be searched individually for book reviews, or searched simultanously using MultiSearch.
To find book reviews in MultiSearch
- Type the book title into MultiSearch and then click Book Review under Content Type
- Click Limit to articles from scholarly publications including peer-review if you wish to find in-depth book reviews
- New York Review of Books
- New York Times Book Review
- Times Literary Supplement
- Women's Review of Books
Recent reviews of New Zealand books (1987- ) can be located through:
Index New Zealand
Major index for journal and newspaper articles published in New Zealand and the Pacific.
To limit to book reviews:
- Select Advanced Search.
- Type book reviews in Subject (Descriptor) field and combine this with either the author or book title as a 'keyword anywhere' search.
e.g. to search for book reviews of the bone people:
For pre-1987 book reviews, try the Index to New Zealand Periodicals
This online bookstore has a massive range, and categorises its books by subject or genre. Many books have reader reviews to help gauge what the book is about and its quality
ACQ's Directory of Book Reviews on the Web
This site maintains a large and well-organised collection of links to book review sites on the web. It is organised by field of study or literary genre
BOOKNews on the Internet
This site covers to the fields of science, technology and medicine. Books are organised by subject and then by publication date. Each book is provided with a brief review