Linking FAQ's - Teaching Support - Library - University of Canterbury - New Zealand

Linking FAQ's

Best Practice for Online Access to Course Reading Materials

  • Can I hand out a printed article from a journal to every student in class (and have it identified correctly on the Learn page)?
    No, not unless the individual licence with the online journal allows for multiple printing (most of them do not – multiple printing from hardcopy journals is paid for under the CLNZ licence).

  • Where can I find support & help when problems arise?
    Your Subject Librarian can help with problem solving and can advise on Library services available to encourage student reading in support of your course.

  • How do staff and students know about copyright?
    Copyright guidance can be found on the library website, and staff and students are encouraged to contact Library staff if they require assistance. Additionally, copyright posters should be on each printer and warning notices should display on Learn to warn students and staff of copying restrictions.

  • Can we legally load PDFs on Learn from lecturer owned books?
    Yes - this is completely fine and covered by the licence fees we pay to CLNZ. However, these must comply with the general regulations – up to 10%, or one chapter of the book, whichever is most.

  • Can you automatically gather together journal papers and book chapters in one place? This would be very useful. Students are confused by finding readings in two places (in Learn)
    Journal articles and book chapters can be arranged to appear together in Learn, by grouping materials for a given week or topic into sections. We discourage the use of folders, or multiple items in one .pdf to gather information. If you require assistance with this please contact a Flexible Learning Advisor.

  • What about access to material on Learn for Cultural enrolment students?
    Cultural-only enrolment does not permit students to have a Canterbury Card, Library, or IT (computer) access. This includes access to Learn. These students cannot be given access to materials on Learn, regardless of whether this material is in print or electronic form.

  • What about access to material for people from other institutions enrolled in a UC course?

    Lincoln and Ara (formerly CPIT)

    Tuakiri federated access has been implemented for Learn. Lincoln and Ara (formerly CPIT) staff and students without UC accounts can log into Learn using Tuakiri. To log in using federated access, click the Log in via Tuakiri link located in the Log in block located on the top right of the screen.

    Tuakiri login

    Other Institutions

    When linking to licensed library electronic content for students or staff who do not have UC accounts, separate links need to be created in Learn for each institution. This involves a little extra work. To resolve the issue of students being presented with multiple links to such resources, it is recommended to use groups, groupings and resource visibility functions. Using this method, students from each institution only see the links to their own institution’s electronic resources. Setting this up requires some extra time. Contact a Flexible Learning Advisor for step-by-step instructions on how to do it. This approach is used in the Waterways courses.
  • Is it okay to copy to our (lecturer's) slides if not copied into students' on Learn?
    It is fine to copy material once to use in the course of teaching so yes, putting something on a slide is okay so long as the slide is not made available to students to print.

  • What if I want to upload more than 10% of a book to Learn?
    A transactional licence is required if you intend to use more than 10% (or one chapter) of a work in your teaching. An application must be made to CLNZ to authorise this. An example of when a transactional licence may be issued is when the material is out of print and not readily available. Please contact for more information is how to apply for a transactional licence.

  • May we link to YouTube?
    By all means link to YouTube. Think about the legality of the material which is being posted. For example, if it is a full-length feature film posted up by user name ddgrs123578 then you can be pretty sure it is not legally meant to be there. However, by linking to material we are merely directing users to it, and therefore liability and breach does not sit with the University. When in doubt, always link to online material.

  • What can we do with interloaned books?
    Interloaned books can be used exactly the same as other books – 10% or one chapter.

  • What can we do with Interloaned journals?
    You may scan one interloaned journal article, including from US databases, even where they stipulate single use only, to place on Learn. These articles must be scanned from the original journal.

For more detailed information, please refer to the University of Waikato’s copyright guide.